The 29th season of Shakespeare on the Green kicks off today in a lovely grassy knoll of Elmwood Park just south of the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s bell tower.
This year’s plays — “As You Like It” and “Othello” — are productions presented by Nebraska Shakespeare and the university.
“As You Like It” show days: June 18-21; July 1, 2, and 5. “Orthello” show days: June 25-28, 30 and July 3.
Performances begin promptly at 8 p.m. Parking is available throughout campus. All performances are free, but donations will be taken nightly. A suggested donation of $10 per person would help meet production costs.
Visit the NebraskaShakespeare.com for more details on activities and events prior to performances.
Here’s what you’ll need to bring:
Lawn chair or blanket
Wine and beer allowed in the park but are not on sale there
Sunscreen, bug spray or citronella candles
Picnic baskets allowed, or buy food and beverages onsite from vendors
8 Rules to live by:
1. Blankets can be spread to reserve a spot after 9 a.m. day of show.
2. Reserved seating is for donors
3. Please keep children or pets from wandering during performance.
4. No gas or charcoal cooking on the green
5. No smoking on the green, only outside past the entrance.
6. No loud conversation after 8 p.m., please.
7. Suggested donation $10 or more per person.
8. Thursdays and Sundays are not as crowded.