Parking memoirs of a basic Mav: Surface lot parking


By Richard Larson, Opinion Editor

It was a Thursday. Early afternoon. I was using my lunch hour to go speak to a Mass Communications class about the benefits of joining a relevant organization.
I work within walking distance of Pacific Campus. The lecture was in the basement of Roskens Hall.
My immediate thought was to shell out the $2 for a parking space in Lot V, the bottom level of the East Garage.
Days earlier, I had just cleaned out the whip, which meant my quarter supply found a new home.
Armed with my daytime surface lot pass, I settled for checking Lot A. For those of you that are unfamiliar with parking geography, Lot A is the on the far northeast corner of Dodge Campus. It’s the closest lot for access to Roskens.
As I only planned to speak for about 15 minutes, I accepted the fact that I would be able to wait for a space for a little while. Yeah, try 20 minutes.
I had a sneaking suspicion that my wait would be an unorthodox amount of time, so I grabbed some fast food before heading to campus.
Parked in Lot A, waiting like a vulture to seize the next opening, I patiently sat idle with my cheesy Runza and crinkle fries.
After polishing off the greasy-goodness, I spotted a bogey approaching from my flank. The guy moseyed to his truck and backed out.
Just as I put my car into drive, one of those ninja-sport-bike-things flew into the space I so patiently waited for.
I was in shock. Shock turned to anger, anger to rage, and rage to hopelessness. No. That was my spot. I was not about to allow some fool on a bike take a whole parking spot.
I flung my door open, about to pounce like a soccer mom in a fender-bender. The guy was taking his helmet off and I engaged in confrontation.
The argument was short and sweet, though I always dreamed of a parking lot squabble similar to something out of “The Outsiders.”
He was in a hurry just as I was, but he claimed he did not notice me waiting. The cyclist flew out of the lot just as he flew in.
I rushed into the lecture hall and took care of business. I returned to find multiple cars waiting as I was, anxiously watching my every move. I left the lot, leaving the disgruntled commuters to duke it out.
By the time I made it back into work, I felt like I had put in a full day already. However, it was just another unsatisfactory and inconvenient parking battle on campus.
Until my next UNO parking blunder, stay optimistic.