With the fall semester quickly approaching, new students and returning Mavericks will likely be looking for fun things to do around Omaha in the coming months. Returning students and newer students from the city, and closer surrounding areas might already know this, but Omaha, Nebraska is a sports town. There may not be a major league sports team based in Omaha, not yet anyway, but there are enough major sporting events all year long to keep any degree of sports fan satisfied.
The University of Nebraska at Omaha athletic teams have a major presence in the Omaha sports scene, and that presence is about to get even bigger with the opening of the brand new Baxter Arena. The new venue is just a quick walk or drive from campus located just south of Aksarben Village off of Center Street.
This fall is bound to be an eventful time for Maverick sports in Omaha as they are also now finally Division I eligible and can compete in the Summit League Conference tournament, besides the hockey team which of course, is already taking things to the next level in Division I. Here are five things to look forward to this upcoming semester in the world that is Maverick sports.
5. The Lady Mavs volleyball team will play the majority of this season at the historic Sapp Fieldhouse before transitioning to the bright new lights of Baxter Arena for their final three home games. The Mavs host Western Illinois on Sunday, November 1 to kick off their new future in Baxter Arena as they celebrate seniors’ night as well. The game begins at 2 p.m.
4. To end the first week of classes right, the UNO men’s and women’s soccer teams will be hosting a doubleheader at Caniglia Field on Friday, August 28. The action begins with the women’s team hosting Northern Iowa at 5 p.m. and the men playing the University of Missouri-Kansas City at 7 p.m.
Tailgate festivities will be available to all UNO students and Omaha fans from all over the community before the start of the women’s game through the beginning of the men’s game at the Pep Bowl located just north of Caniglia Field on UNO’s north campus.
3. The Maverick women’s basketball team will host their first game against a Division I opponent on their new court in Baxter Arena on Saturday, November 14. Omaha will go up against Central Florida, a 2015 Women’s NCAA Tournament team. The Lady Mavs first game inside the new arena will be on Wednesday, November 4 in an exhibition game against Washburn.
2. The men’s basketball team is now eligible for the Summit League Tournament, and a possible shot at making it to the big dance if they are successful. The Mavs will begin their march for the tournament held in Sioux Falls, South Dakota when they host the University of California-Santa Barbara on November 13 in their first game at Baxter Arena.
1. The UNO men’s hockey team will kick off the new season inside their new home at Baxter Arena on Friday, October 23 against Air Force. The game is already sold out, however 750 student section seats are up for grabs, so make sure to get to the arena likely hours ahead of time to reserve a seat on the history-making night.